I got this from Tasty Kitchen and I wanted to share it because it was the BEST soup I have ever made my family. It was so flavorful! Very, very good!
A hearty chowder to warm you up on a chilly day. If you like spicy food, be sure to use hot Italian sausage, but it is just as delicious with sweet Italian sausage.
Preparation InstructionsCook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat until browned. Remove sausage from Dutch oven and set aside. Drain excess grease, leaving about 1 tablespoon. Add onion and saute 3-4 minutes until tender. Add garlic and saute another minute. Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Slowly whisk in chicken broth and half-and-half. Bring to a simmer. Add thyme, basil, marjoram, oregano and red pepper flakes.
Add red pepper, celery, carrot and potatoes. Return the sausage to the Dutch oven. Continue simmering for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Add corn and continuing simmering 5 minutes or until the corn is tender.
Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle into bowls and garnish with parsley and sliced green onion.
- 1 pound Italian Sausage (hot Or Sweet) I USED MILD
- 1 whole Medium Onion, Chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
- ¼ cups Flour (I USED GF FLOUR)
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 4 cups Half-and-half
- ¾ teaspoons Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- ½ teaspoons Dried Marjoram
- ½ teaspoons Dried Oregano
- ¼ teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Diced
- ⅓ cups Celery Finely Chopped
- ⅓ cups Carrot, Shredded
- 2 whole Medium Potatoes, Peeled And Cut Into 1 Inch Dice, About 2 Cups
- 1-½ cup Corn
- ½ teaspoons Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoons Pepper