This was the best meatloaf I have ever made. My husband said that he would even consider this for his last meal lol. A must try!
- 1 lb ground beef or venison
- 1 lb mild italian sausage or pork
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt;
- 1 tsp ground black pepper;
- 1 egg;
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped;
- 2 cups white button mushrooms, finely chopped;
- 1 tsp chili pepper flakes;
- 3 tsp fresh thyme, minced;
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, minced;
- 3 cloves garlic, minced;
- ½ cup ketchup (can be homemade)
- 1 tbsp honey, optional;
- ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce, optional;
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- In a medium sized skillet placed over a medium heat, melt butter, add the mushrooms and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, salt, pepper, egg, onion, mushrooms, chili pepper, thyme, oregano and garlic. Mix well, makng sure to break-up the meat. Add the cooked mushrooms as well. It’s very important that the mushrooms are evenly distributed to ensure the loaf bonds well.
- Lightly grease loaf pan with additional cooking fat and fill it with the meat mixture. Place in the oven and cook for approximately 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine ketchup, honey and Worcestershire sauce to make the sauce for the top of the meatloaf.
- After cooking for 15 minutes, gently spread the sauce on the top of the loaf.
- Continue cooking for another 40 minutes.